“This hilarious novel [is] narrated in Ruby’s perfectly executed teenspeak and littered with her manic lists….Like, really recommended.” — Kirkus Reviews
“Everyone’s favorite neurotic, prone-to-panic high-school student is back…Fans of the series will clamor for Ruby’s latest adventure.” — Booklist
Okay, enough about that. Did you all have a good Christmas, if you celebrate? We are snowed in, here. There is a lot of baking going on (cranberry-orange loaf cake this morning) and sledding and watching of movies (Back to the Future really holds up.)
It is nice to be on vacation, but I miss writing. A bit. I have revisions to do on a book starting in early January, and right after that I have to start the next one.
Happy New Year, all! Most years since 2004 I do this year-end meme. Here's the 2004 one. It's interesting to look back and see what's changed. If you feel like it, post yours in the comments!
YEAR-END SURVEY 2010
1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
I went to Walmart.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I can't remember if I made one. I think I am going to resolve to do yoga for 20 mins 3x a week. I have done this before and it makes me feel very good. But haven't done it in a year or so.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! Shout out to baby Dante.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I was a local girl. But I went to Florida a lot.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
A full-night's sleep -- regularly.
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Today! My book birthday for Real Live Boyfriends.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I finally got my hair the color I like it.
9. What was your biggest failure?
There is a project I really wanted to work on, and I couldn't get myself considered for it. I tried, but maybe there are avenues I could have pursued, but didn't.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No. I'm tremendously lucky.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My pal Maryrose Wood gave me some really great advice.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Factory farming of animals upsets me greatly.
14. Where did most of your money go?
To the tax man. Then health insurance. Then my agent. Self-employment isn't easy on the wallet.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
See Leeds Utd. video, above.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder? same
- richer or poorer? poorer (bought apartment though!)
- thinner or fatter? same
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Yoga. I answer this almost every year. I need to just shut up and do it.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend the holidays?
Entertaining. Dinner for 14!
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Same old love. Is good.
22. How many one-night stands?
This Q&A is otherwise g-rated. I hate this question. None!
23. What was your favorite TV program?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
The Magicians by Lev Grossman.
26. What was your favorite film of this year?
I saw almost nothing. But I really loved How to Train Your Dragon. Toothless forevah!
27. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Bohemian Kate Hepburn
28 Whom did you miss?
My 95 year-old grandmother.
29. Who was the best new person you met?
I got to hang out with Carrie Ryan at a conference and she is awesome.
30. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
When saying No to someone, think to yourself what the thing is that YOU are saying yes to. Saying Yes, to more free time in your schedule, saying yes to more time with your family, saying yes to something.