Debbi Michiko Florence BAITED ME with this meme. She knows I can't resist, even though I am supposed to be writing book proposals!
37 Odd Things About Me
1. Do you like blue cheese? Love it. Stinky cheese is my friend.
2. Have you ever smoked? Yes, I am sorry to say. At a conference, I once defeated YA authors Matt de La Pena (Ball Don't Lie -- there's a movie, too!), John Green (An Abundance of Katherines) and Dana Reinhardt (How to Build a House) in a contest for who had the most embarrassing thing in his or her bag by having a pack of Kool cigarettes AND a dvd of Northern Exposure, season 1.
But it was only a brief fling with the evil weed of tobacco (mentholated!) and I do not smoke any more.
3. Do you own a gun? No!
4. What flavor Kool Aid was your favorite? I have probably only had Kool Aid twice in my life. My mother was not in favor of it.
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? No.
6. What do you think of hot dogs? I am sorry they are made from animals using noxious farming practices, and that tofu dogs have not been developed to the point of actually tasting good.
7. Favorite Christmas movie? It's a Wonderful Life.
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Decaf coffee, very hot.
9. Can you do push ups? Yes. But not as many as in my youth.
10. What's your favorite piece of jewelry? A jade necklace given me by my late grandmother when I graduated high school.
11. Favorite hobby? Reading.
12. Do you have A.D.D.? Absolutely not.
13. Do you wear glasses/contacts? 20/20, baby.
14. Middle name? You already know it, I bet.
15. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment? Too darn hot. Should stop procrastinating. I have an early copy of Janes in Love!
16. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink? water, decaf, diet ginger ale
17. Current worry? Computer on last legs.
18. Current hate right now? I am not so full of hate. But maybe that is because I have been avoiding reading the news.
19. Favorite place to be? Martha's Vineyard.
20. How did you bring in the new year. I was probably asleep. But I baked a cake on New Year's day, as I always do.
21. Where would you like to go? India. This good Chinese restaurant I know. Scotland.
22. Name three people who will complete this? Maybe literaticat? Maybe Lara? Lauren! Lauren, you must complete it!
23. Do you own slippers? I am very devoted to my slippers. They changed my life. Before that, I always had cold feet.
24. What shirt are you wearing? J.Crew navy heather t-shirt with bleach stains, about 4 years old.
25. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? blech
26. Can you whistle? I am quite a good whistler, yes.
27. Favorite color? Dusty blue.
28. Would you be a pirate? I don't like the idea of being out in the middle of the sea. Gives me the heebeejeebies.
29. What songs do you sing in the shower? I don't. But I sing around the house. Lately, ABBA, thanks to the Mamma Mia film.
30. Favorite Girl's Name? I like plant and nature names.
31. Favorite boy's name? I met a child named Cerulean recently. That's an awesome name.
32. What's in your pocket right now? I don't have pockets in summer. I wear skirts. But lipstick, when I have a pocket.
33. Last thing that made you laugh? Remembering how someone I know sunburnt his feet really badly, and the fact that I laughed at him then, and being reminded how evil and bad it was of me to laugh at his misfortune. But this, if you haven't seen it yet, cracks me up bigtime. Thanks to the evil genius of Lauren Myracle.
34. What vehicle do you drive? I don't own a car. I walk or take public transportation. This is normal in New York City. Also green!
35. Worst injury you've ever had? I have been very lucky. Sliced open foot, age 5. Thirteen stitches.
36. Do you love where you live? When I go to the theater, eat strange new food, run into interesting people on the street, go to the wonderful stinky cheese store, see some art, notice that I have friends of all colors and backgrounds. No, when I see piles of garbage and crazy people on the street, when housing is so expensive my friends can't afford health insurance, when the subway is packed and stopped underground.